Vocational Training Teams are groups of professionals traveling abroad to either learn about their profession or teach local professionals about a particular field.
As you may be aware, this district is a Pilot District under the Future Vision Plan of The Rotary Foundation. This means that, among other things, we are encouraged to carry out projects in one or more of the six Areas of Focus of this plan, which are:
- Peace and conflict prevention/resolution
- Disease prevention and treatment- Water and Sanitation
- Maternal and child health
- Basic education and literacy
- Economic and community development
The guidance from Rotary is that the teams :
- may build the capacity of either the team itself or a specific benefiting community
- may be carried out in conjunction with a humanitarian project or scholarship- may be multi-vocational but must share a common purpose in support of the selected area of focus
- must consist of a minimum of one Rotarian team leader and three non-Rotarian team members with no maximum limit of participants
- have no restrictions on participant age or length of time for training
You have probably noticed that this very similar to the previous Rotary programme called Group Study Exchange (GSE), and that is where our efforts are directed, at least for the next year or so.